Thursday, February 17, 2011

Journal of an Italian

Journal of: Al Paccino

June  18, 1911

  Its been a hard hard for us here in Italy. There aren't many jobs available and I don't really know what to do with my life. At least I got a letter from my cousin Vinny from the US; he says the family business is running smoothly in the "Bronx". Vinny said I should go over there and join the family business, it doesn't sound like such a bad idea. How bad can working for the mafia be...

June 29, 1911

 I've finally made my decision and packed my bags to go to New York and join the family business. I've got nothing to lose since I left nothing in my hometown in Italy. Now I'll just wait here in this ship and think about how everything is going to be in the so called "Land of Opportunities". Were I'll anxiously wait, to get were my destiny awaits me.

  
July 7, 1911

  Finally I arrived to the US after all those days in that ship, and as soon as I got there cousin Vinny was already waiting for me. He took all my luggage to were I was going to stay, it wasn't a decent place but I'll have to deal with it in the mean time. We talked for a while and he explained how the business was running and how they worked.  Looks like its a little hard work.


April 3,   1911

Well its been a couple of weeks here in the "Bronx" and everything has gone smoothly. Obviously I don't have the best job, yet, but in time I'll get my promotions. As long as I still have to pay the bills and to eat its great. Even though everything is fine here, I still miss my hometown in Italy. At least I feel at home in this little community filled with Italians. Hope I succeed in this new chapter in my life.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment